POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2008 04:58:55
Message: <48bbaecf$1@news.povray.org>
>> Until yesterday, the only products I'd heard of where Bochs (only runs
>> on Linux) and VMware (AFAIK that's extremely expensive).
>
> Mostly, but one of their server products is free now.

I see...

>> Oh, and doesn't Micro$oft now have some product that's just called
>> "virtual server" or something undistinctive? Presumably that's a
>> server product that is only available enterprise customers who've
>> signed an NDA...
>
> Yes they do, and if you'd read a few lines up you'd  have seen that.

As I say, I couldn't remember it's exact name, so I wasn't sure if the
virtual server you were referring to was the M$ product or somebody else's.

> It's free. As in, go and download, no purchases or NDAs necessary.

That's an... interesting move. Still, I guess if you have 100 virtual
servers and they all run Windows, you still need 100 server licenses.

> I don't personally run virtual server, I get by just fine with it's
> little brother (Virtual PC), but it's not a server-only app. It does run
> on XP, though it's designed more for server-usage.
> Then, of course, there's Hyper-V built into Server 2008.

Until yesterday, I had always assumed that any kind of emulation or
virtualisation solution would be roughly 1,000,000x slower than native
execution, so it's not something I've ever been interested in. Hence
it's something I know almost nothing about. However, since it appears
that you can actually run real software at almost native speeds,
suddenly it becomes far more interesting... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/